With organic Blueberries in season now and lovely sweet Navel Oranges, what better way to celebrate these fruits in spring!
- 2 cups unbleached plain flour, plus extra for berries
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Celtic salt (fine)
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut in chunks
- 3/4 cup pure cream
- 1 organic egg
- 1 punnet fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; mix thoroughly. Cut in butter using 2 forks. The butter pieces should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs.
- In another bowl, mix cream and egg together, and then add to the flour mixture. Mix just to incorporate, do not overwork the dough.
- Roll blueberries in flour to coat, this will help prevent the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the scone when baked. Fold the blueberries into batter, being careful not to bruise. Drop large tablespoons of batter onto a shallow baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until brown. Cool before applying orange glaze.
- Combine butter, sugar, orange zest, and juice in a bowl. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water to cook. Cook gently until butter and sugar are melted and mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and beat until smooth and slightly cool.
- Drizzle or brush on top of scones and let glaze get hazy and hardened.